World History -- Course Syllabus
(Mr. Hamann -- Room 313)
MATERIALS (bring to class daily)
3. Pen and/or pencil
* Textbooks (blue edition) will be kept on the front shelf in the classroom and checked out as needed (majority of assignments will be completed in class).
GRADING SCALE (based on percentage)
98 and above A+
59 and below F
* Grades will be based on the following:
- Group activities
- Homework assignments
- Participation/effort (explain)
LATE WORK POLICY
1 day late: 33% off (1/3)
2-5 days late: 50% off (1/2)
Over a week late: 0 (ZERO)
MR. HAMANN’S TEACHING SCHEDULE
1st Hour (7:55 - 8:46): World History
2nd Hour (8:50 - 9:41): Civics
3rd Hour (9:45 - 10:36): Prep Period
WIN Period (10:40 - 11:10)
4th Hour (11:14 - 12:07): Academic Study Hall (Room 313)
Lunch (12:07 – 12:37): 5A Lunch (Room 313)
5th Hour (12:39 - 1:30): World History
6th Hour (1:35 - 2:26): World History
7th Hour (2:30 - 3:21): Civics
* I will be in my classroom from 7:30 - 7:55 on Monday - Friday before school. I am also here after most school days until 3:45. Feel free to make appointments at other times.
1st offense: Warning (verbal)
2nd offense: 5 minutes before/after school with Mr. Hamann
3rd offense: 15 minutes before/after school with Mr. Hamann and phone call to parents
4th offense: Referral to administrator (possible actions: detention, in-school
suspension, or suspension)
* It is extremely important that everyone is here on time for each class period.
* I expect everyone to be here for each class period. If you are absent, it not only affects you, but your classmates as well, especially with group activities and responsibilities. I will assign extra work to students who repeatedly miss this class because of unexcused absences. It is also your responsibility to find out what you missed when you were gone and to make up any assignments.
* Bathroom Pass: Students will only use the bathroom with my permission (laminated bathroom pass). This will not be abused, for instance, by the same student at the same time every day. Do not ask me to use the restroom in the middle of an activity/discussion. Use reasonable judgment for this request.
* Locker Pass: Students should know what to bring to class ahead of time, such as an assignment to be turned in, colored pencils, etc. Do not expect to be able to run to your locker every day if you forget something. However, in case of emergency, you may use your student planner with my permission. BE RESPONSIBLE!!!
*** ANY OTHER PASS REQUESTS WILL BE RECORDED IN YOUR STUDENT PLANNERS, AT MY DISCRETION.
FOOD & DRINK POLICY (this is a privilege, not a right!!!)
* Both food and beverages are allowed in this classroom under several conditions:
1. There is no mess left behind -- if this becomes a problem, the privilege will
be taken away (consider this your warning).
2. They are consumed at “appropriate times” (i.e. Don’t munch on Doritos
during a student’s oral presentation.)
3. “No spill” beverage policy -- if you spill once, your privilege is gone for
the rest of the semester (regardless of whose fault it was).
* There are labeled bins in the back of the room for PAPER, ALUMINUM CANS, and PLASTIC BOTTLES. Please make sure containers are empty and please take the caps off bottles. Use appropriate bins for each item.
* You will be assigned an alphabetical seating chart for the 1st week of school. Once I know who you are, you may sit where you like, as long as this privilege is not abused.
LINING UP AT THE DOOR TO LEAVE
DON’T!!! If there happens to be a couple minutes left at the end of a period, you may talk quietly at your desks, but do not line up at the doorway. Please stay seated until the bell rings.
IMPORTANT THINGS TO REMEMBER:
* CELL PHONES & HEADPHONES -- NOT ALLOWED DURING
CLASSROOM INSTRUCTIONAL TIME (may be allowed for music when working on homework, after a test is finished, etc…I will let you know).
* Use appropriate classroom language (what may be acceptable when you’re out
with your friends is not necessarily acceptable in this classroom).
* When an individual is speaking (teacher or student), everyone else is listening -- you will all be able to voice your opinions, so extend this common courtesy to others.
* Class participation is very important -- I would rather have someone give me a
wrong answer than no answer at all.
* RESPECT others and their viewpoints. Not everyone sees things exactly the same
way you do, so don’t expect them to.